Monday, June 13, 2011

Best of the Past, the Present, and the “Has-Beens”






The big three that I’ve been waiting for is finally right around the corner. Three days of live music including my favorites from the past, the present, and the “has-beens.” The three-day spread begins with the best of the past. On June 17th the critically acclaimed legend and pioneer of the Chicago blues (and one of my favorite axemen) Buddy Guy takes the stage at the Red Butte Gardens. He was ranked 13th in Rolling Stone magazine’s list of “100 Greatest Guitarists of All time” Buddy is known for his showmanship on stage, playing his guitar with drumsticks, or strolling into the audience while whaling a solo. Day two, June 18th, the best of the present Ray LaMontagne performs with Brandi Carlile. I have been anxious to see Ray live ever sense I first heard him in ’07. His soothing sound and unforgettable voice makes for an addictive combination. Ray just won best contemporary fold album of the year for his album “God willin’ & the Creek Don’t Rise.” The fact that he is sharing the stage with singer songwriter Brandi Carlile only makes the night more intriguing. Finally, the best of the “has-been’s” Poison/Crue share a stage at USANA amphitheatre on June 19th. Poison and Motley Crue controlled the airways and the attention of every teenager that had any form of rebellion in his or her blood. They dominated the 80s, that is, until Slash and Axel came along and showed us how rock & roll was meant to be. This fun night of nostalgia will be spent reminiscing on big hair and spandex; I might even pull out my air guitar.
I couldn’t ask for a better three-day line up. Each day will be spent with my favorite artist representing their genre. If you’re looking for something to rejuvenate your spirit, then go do some yoga. If you just wanna have fun and enjoy the best of the past, present and the “has-beens” then grab your tickets and I’ll see ya there.

No comments:

Post a Comment